Friday, May 22, 2009

I am a child of God




Growing up in the church there was one thing I was sure of, I was a child of God. This theme was continually taught from the time I walked into nursery with diapers on 'til the day I walked out of primary and into young men's. Even after primary I was still taught in a majority of my classes that I was a "Child of God."
If you were to walk up to any child in primary and ask them to sing "I am a Child of God" you will instantly have little voices singing mightily the words they have learned. Believing as a child that I had a Heavenly Father who loved me, gave me much assurance and peace. Knowing I had someone to turn to in my darkest hours as a teenage gave me hope and courage to withstand the barrage of temptation that came with the transition to adulthood.
Although I believed I had a Heavenly Father who loved me and that I was his child, I don't think I fully understood the depth and sincerity of His love. There were things I loved in my life, certainly my family and friends, the many pets I had through the years, even some girlfriends I felt I could possibly be in love with. Those things within my life that I truly loved were a measurement to the love my Heavenly Father could possibly have for me. There was no other way I could compute or understand His love than to compare too what I thought love was.
After marrying my sweetheart in the temple, I again added a greater appreciation to what love was. She is truly my soul mate, my best friend, a person I would climb the highest mountain for or cross the widest river just to be with. A part of me feels complete when she is by my side. Having her in my life has given me a broader perspective of God's love for me.
I think for most people there is a defining moment within their lives where this concept of being a child of God becomes so profound and undeniable that they no longer believe but know they are His child. My defining moment where I came to understand God's love for me came on October 29, 2002.

This was the birth of our first child Lilliana. I can still remember the nurse handing me this beautiful, amazing, little girl wrapped tightly in pink blankets. Holding her in my arms for the first time was a moment I shall never forget. I struggle to find the words to adequately describe the emotions that overcame me during those first few moments. I was a father!
I made a promise to my little girl that night in the hospital that I would always, always love her, no matter what. I would always be there for her, I would protect and provide for her, and make sure she knew daily how much I loved her. I had never felt such a strong love for anything in my life as I did for her on that day.
I know God is my Father, I am His son and because I am His child I know he loves me more than anything, just as I love my children more than anything in this world. After years of being taught this message it took holding my own child to gain a stronger understanding of God's love for me.
In a small hospital room I came to know how much my Heavenly Father loves me.











No comments:

Post a Comment